Monday, February 11, 2013

Collaboration and Respect

Today, we had a student come into our classroom from another class. We call it coming to the buddy room. This student really had me stunned. He came in and starting talking with the general education Teacher in the classroom because he is a general ed student. I heard him ranting and raving about the Special education teacher that sent him out because of his behavior. He was saying that she was just an helper and he didn't have to listen to her. The general eduction teacher never corrected him, she just asked him what was she doing in there if the main teacher wasn't in the classroom. I finally had to say something. I kindly walked over to him and softly told him that she was a teacher and not just a helper and that she deserved his respect. I also reminded the teacher that I work with that it was a collaboration class and that why there are two teachers in there and if the teacher is not there sometimes the other teacher will take over instead of the sub. This is not a first time but this is where a lot of behavior problems come from, and that is the student not understanding that they have to respect and listen to all adults working in the classroom.
All I can say is "WOW"

No comments:

Post a Comment